Main Window, GUI Client (UnitedChart browser)
After login, the main window of the GUI client (UnitedChart browser)
Going from top to bottom, the main window contains the following:
Keywords field usage
- Title bar - The title bar displays the name of the program
followed by the name of the currently logged in user.
- Pull down menus - The pull down menus are used to access
the less frequently used areas of the software.
- Tool bar - The tool bar contains the frequently used
software options. To select a tool bar button either click on it
with the mouse or press the underlined letter while holding down
the ALT key. The tool bar also contains an information text box
which displays appointment statistics.
- Enter button - The enter button appears to the left of
the keywords input field. The text within the go button changes to
indicate the action that will take place when then ENTER key is
pressed (or the enter button is clicked).
- Keywords input field - The keywords input field, which is
used to enter search text, appears to the left of the enter button.
- Appointment date - The appointment date identifies
the date of the appointments in the following list.
- Message count - The number of new messages, in your inbox,
is displayed between the appointment date and clock.
Viewing your messages clears the message counter.
- Clock - The clock shows the current time.
This may be the time on the PC or the network server,
depending on system configuration.
- Appointment list - The appointment list shows the
appointments for the current day.
If the logged in user has schedules, the list contains just that
If the logged in user does not have schedules, the list contains
the appointments for all the users, at that location, that do
have schedules. That is, doctors see only their appointments
while assistants see all their doctor's appointments.
The keywords field can be used to search for appointments,
patients, internet web sites, phone numbers, and more.
Certain capital letters expand as described below.
Turn off CAPS LOCK to prevent unintentional expansion of
Tool bar buttons
- Appointment list search - As characters are typed
into the keywords field, the appointment list is searched to
see if a name matches the entered text.
If so, the name in the appointment list is highlighted and
the enter button is changed to display Chart if the
logged in user has schedules or Appt if not.
This is done so that the default action for doctors is to view
a patient's chart, while the default action for others is to
modify the patient's appointment.
- Patient search - If the text entered into the keywords
field does not find an appointment in the list, then the highlight
bar is removed from the appointment list and the text is used to
search for patients.
The enter button is changed to Find to indicate that pressing
ENTER will perform a patient search.
To force a patient search add a trailing space to the keyword text.
- Internet web site - If the keywords begins
with http then pressing ENTER goes to that web
site, using the default browser.
Type a capital W to expand to http://www..
- Internet white pages search - If the keywords begins
with phone# then pressing ENTER performs an internet
white pages search on the number that follows.
Remember to include to area code.
Type a capital P to expand to phone#.
- Internet search engine - If the keywords begins
with google:, yahoo: or altavista:
then pressing ENTER performs a search, via the default browser,
using the words that follow.
Type a capital G, Y, or A to expand to the corresponding
- Local system - If the keywords begins with
localsystem then pressing ENTER displays the
local system's web client login page, using the default browser.
Type a capital L to expand to localsystem.
- Internet repository - If the keywords begins with
repository then pressing ENTER displays the internet
repository's web client login page, using the default browser,
using the words that follow.
Type a capital R to expand to repository.
- Exit program - Typing exit and pressing ENTER
terminates the software.
- Lock - The Lock tool bar button is used to manually
log out when done using the software.
This prevents unauthorized use by others, under your name.
- Demog - The Demog button displays the demographics
window for the currently highlighted patient in the appointment
- Chart - The Chart button displays the clinical chart
of the currently highlighted patient in the appointment list.
- Appt - The Appt button displays the appointment
modification window for the currently highlighted appointment
in the list.
- Sched - The Sched button displays the schedule
window. The schedule window is used to book appointments.
- New - The New button is used to add new patients,
medicines, text items, etc.
- Messages - The Messages button displays the currently
logged in user's inbox.
- Info - The Info button displays this page.
- Exit - The Exit button terminates the software.
Depending on configuration this button may be suppressed,
but the x in the upper right corner can still be used to
shutdown the program.
Last update 01/18/01