Copyright (c) LS DataNet Systems, Inc. 2002-2020.
WARNING: While UnitedChart is two decades old,
the Android implementation is new as of March 2020.
In order to create the Android
version of UnitedChart, it was necessary to use a Java
http server instead of UnitedChart's internal http server.
To avoid the need to install client/server data base
software and pay associated licensing fees, UnitedChart
now includes Sqlite3 as its default data base manager.
Therefore, there is no guarantee that the Android version of
UnitedChart will be as stable and dependable as the Windows
and Linux computer based versions.
Rather, if you download and run the Android version of UnitedChart
then you are in effect a tester.
Please report problems, comments, desired features, and other
issues to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you like UnitedChart but your Android device isn't powerful or
stable enough to run your entire health care facility,
then our recommendation is to migrate to one of the
computer based versions of UnitedChart.
Use the following steps to download, install, remove,
and start/stop/restart the UnitedChart server software.
Install UnitedChart Android server
This installation method uses "sideloading" which is
an alternative to downloading from the Google Play Store.
UnitedChart will be posted there, but doing that
would have delayed distribution by weeks.
Most of the installation steps involve the Android
operating system trying to talk you out of completing
- Before beginning, make sure to connect your Android device
to your password protected wifi.
While not required, it will make installation easier.
- Before downloading you may want to change your setting
for "Install apps from unknown sources" to on.
The location of this option is inside Settings,
but it varies between Android devices.
If the setting is off, the Android OS allows you to change
it to on during app installation, adding an extra step.
- From the Android device that will become the server,
to begin downloading.
- After starting the download, the Android OS will warn that
it doesn't know UnitedChart. Touch OK to proceed.
- Wait for the download to complete, it may take a little while.
A check will appear followed by uchart.apk and Open.
Touch open to begin installation.
- The Android OS should ask "Do you want to install the
application? It will get access to your SD card."
UnitedChart stores your data on your SD card.
Touch install to proceed.
- The Android OS will say "Blocked by Play Protect".
Touch the INSTALL ANYWAY button.
- The Android will ask "Send app for scanning?".
Touch DON'T SEND (recommended) or SEND if you prefer.
- The Android should display a check and "App installed."
Touch Open to start the UnitedChart server app.
- The UnitedChart server console will appear
with its location displayed at the top.
If there is an error, that will be displayed instead.
- Go to a computer, phone, or tablet that is connected
to the same wifi as your UnitedChart Android server.
Start the Internet browser (Chrome, Safari, etc.)
and type in the location displayed at the top of
your UnitedChart server.
The login interface should appear.
- Setup your system by logging in as system manager
using these instructions.
- After downloading, the file uchart.apk will be in your Download folder.
If there is a problem during installation you can go into the
Android File Manager, navigate to the Download folder,
and touch uchart.apk to resume the installation process,
avoiding the need to download again.
Uninstall UnitedChart Android server
Steps to remove UnitedChart from your Android:
- Remove app - Go into Settings, Apps,
scroll down and touch on UnitedChart,
touch the Uninstall button.
- Remove folder - If you successfully installed UnitedChart,
it created the folder UnitedChart in your SD card storage.
Removing the app doesn't delete this folder or any data you
may have entered.
It is not a desirable feature to destroy a medical system,
with potentially tens of thousands of patient charts,
due to a simple touch on app uninstall.
Therefore, you must use the Android File Manager to manually
delete the UnitedChart folder and your data.
Start/stop/restart UnitedChart Android server
Controlling the UnitedChart Android server.
- start - To start the UnitedChart Android server, touch the
UnitedChart app icon that the Android OS added to your device.
- stop - To stop the UnitedChart Android server, touch the three dots
in the upper right, then touch stop.
The app can also be stopped by touching the Android app control
square/lines and touching the app's X or CLEAR ALL.
- restart - To restart the UnitedChart server, touch the three dots
in the upper right, then touch restart.
Some of the configuration changes made by the system manager,
like the printer list, take effect after restarting UnitedChart
(stopping and starting).
next: Linux installation | home
Last update 03/21/2020